So today’s post is an adaptation from my ‘Go Bananas‘ post from last year. Rewriting this fills my stomach and head with memories of my tasty adventure to Austraaaalliiaaaa! However, unfortunately, I am writing this from my cold house staring outside at the snowy English weather 🙁 Meh, we all moan but we love it really 🙂
Since adopting a Vegan Lifestyle I have been working on adapting all of my previous Paleo recipes to plant-based goodies. This mainly involves swapping out eggs for flaxseed or chia seed ‘eggs’ and experimenting with other binding agents like mashed bananas.
One of the trickiest things I have found since focussing on my Vegan-Fitness(ness) is taking in a) enough protein to hit my macros and b) eat as wholly as possible. I do often snigger at the fact that there is perception that Vegans are ‘healthy’ – errr have you heard of the ‘accidentally vegan’ products that are out there – Oreos and Bourbons are among my personal favourites 😉 So yeah, Vegans can still eat lots of refined-sugar-filled products as well as lots of saturated fats. Ahhh delicious fats 🙂
For my adapted Wholesome Banana Cake I worked on two versions – the first simply swapping out the eggs which gave the following Macros ( Carbs: 26.5g, Fats: 16.3g, Protein: 5.3g). I also majorly gambled with replacing the coconut flour with Pea Protein Isolate which gave the following Macros (Carbs: 22.8g, Fats: 15.1g, Protein: 9.9g) based on 10 servings per loaf. So not bad eh!?
If by this point you are wondering what on earth is this Macro-malarky, then fear not, I will be explaining all over the next few posts. But for now, this is the macro calculator I use.
Cutting a deliciously long story short, the Protein Powder Veganana Cake came out gooier than its coconut flour counterpart. If you are looking for cake consistency stick to flour. If you want goeyness for Breakfast or Pudding this is SPOT on! Oh and dollop more nut butter on the top it is YUM! 😉
Check out the full tutorial on my YouTube Channel here. Oh and pleassseee subscribe!
4 mashed bananas
4 flaxseed eggs (4 tbsps of flaxseed mixed with 12 tbsps of water)
140g of almond butter
4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
75g of coconut flour (or 75g of Pea Protein Isolate or any Vegan Protein Powder for a gooier version!)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tbsps of raw cocoa nibs (or chopped up Ombar Chocolate Bar)
4 tbsp chopped pecans
dash of soya milk (or any plant based milk) to loosen up (if required!)
- Grease one loaf pan with coconut oil and line with baking parchment and preheat the oven to gas mark 3.
- Make the flaxseed ‘egg’ by mixing 4 tbsps of flaxseeds with 12 tbsps of water and leave to one side to thicken.
- Combine the mashed bananas, flaxseed ‘eggs’, coconut oil, almond butter and maple syrup until well mixed
- Add the coconut flour (or protein powder), cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and stir until all is mixed.
- Stir in the raw cocoa nibs or Ombar chocolate bar and pecans (if you wish!)
- If the mixture seems a little dry add in a dash of soya milk
- Bake in the oven for about 50-60mins (make sure it doesn’t burn!)
Enjoy this veganana goodness!